Flax Seed Oil Health Benefits
What is Flax Seed Oil?Flax Seed Oil is derived from flax seeds, which are slightly larger than sesame seeds and have a hard but smooth and shiny shell. Their color ranges from deep amber to reddish brown depending on the variety. Studies have shown that flax seeds are an excellent source of Omega-9 and Omega-3 essential fatty acids. They are also a very good source of dietary fiber and protein, as well as manganese, folate, Vitamin B6, magnesium, phosphorous, lecithin, zinc, and copper. In addition, flax seeds are concentrated in lignan, which has been shown to fight both breast cancer and colon cancer.
Due to their hard shell, whole flax seeds are often ground in order to gain the full benefit of the nutrients contained within them.
What are the Benefits of Flax Seed Oil?Flax seeds are considered to be the most important health-supporting supplement after a multi-vitamin supplement. Flax seeds are beneficial to almost every system in our body which includes the nervous system, cardiovascular system, reproductive system, immune system, and circulatory system. Their natural properties offer hundreds of health benefits that make them a magic herbal remedy. Some of these benefits include:
- Curing colon and breast cancer
- Curing skin problems such as acne and eczema
- Curing asthma and diabetes
- Lowering high blood pressure
- Curing rheumatoid arthritis
- Lowering cholesterol levels
- Improving the immune system
- Healing sprains and bruises
- Fighting obesity
- Treating dandruff
Uses of Flax Seed Oil
Constipation Home RemedyThe lignan and fiber components of flax seed act as a highly effective laxative. To gain the best nutritional benefits of flax seed, always grind the fresh seeds.
- Take 3 tablespoons of flax seeds and grind them in regular coffee grinder.
- Add one tablespoon to a glass of warm water, and repeat this once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and once in the evening.
- Repeat this for 3 days.
Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Home RemedyFlax seed has been shown to relieve the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome. Simply take 1 teaspoon of flax seed oil three times daily for one month.
Natural Cure for Diabetes, Arthritis, and Heart AilmentsFor chronic disease such as diabetes, arthritis, gall disorders, and heart ailments, use the following home remedy:
- Combine 4 oz. of cottage cheese with 1.5 oz. of flax seed oil and 1 oz. of milk into a blender.
- Add honey or fresh fruits to add sweetness.
- Blend this mixture and drink daily each morning.
What are the Side Effects of Flax Seed Oil?Some people experience increased flatulence or bloating when they first begin to incorporate flax seeds into their diet. Therefore, it is recommended that you start with a small amount, such as one teaspoon, and slowly build yourself up to your intake goal. When increasing fiber intake in the diet, it is also a good idea to increase fluid (water) consumption as well. Scientific studies have safely used up to 30 grams (1/4 cup) of flax seeds daily without side effects.