Signs and Symptoms of a Yeast Infection
A yeast infection is a common bacterial infection caused by candida albicans, which is a strain of yeast that naturally live on the human body in small numbers. Yeast infections commonly inflict women in the vaginal area, with the following symptoms:
- A thick, white, and odorless discharge from the vagina.
- Itching and burning inside as well as outside the vagina.
- A burning sensation during urination.
- Slight pain or discomfort during sexual intercourse.
Men can also suffer from yeast infections, and infections can also occur on different parts of the body such as beneath the breasts, under nails, and behind other skin folds such as the lower abdominal area.
Causes of Yeast Infections
Although the bacteria that lead to yeast infections naturally exist on our bodies, their numbers are kept under control by the acidity level inside of the vagina. However, a drop in this acidity level may allow the yeast to flourish, leading to an infection. There are a number of possible reasons why this imbalance may occur:
- Pregnancy or menstrual cycles may cause a yeast infection, due to the hormonal changes that a woman undergoes in these situations.
- Antibiotics, steroids, and certain birth control pills can cause yeast infections since they cause an imbalance in the natural gut flora that normally prevents fungus like Candida from forming.
- Excessive moisture inside of the vaginal region can lead to infections.
- Individuals diagnosed with diabetes have been known to be more susceptible to yeast infections.
- Consuming large amounts of sweets and other high-sugar foods can lead to recurring infections.
Home Remedies and Natural Treatments for Yeast Infections
Apple Cider Vinegar
One of the best home remedies to treat a yeast infection is Apple Cider Vinegar.
Here are some simple steps on how to use this amazing natural treatment:
Add 1 and a half cups of Apple Cider Vinegar into a bathtub filled with luke warm water, and then soak in it for about 20 minutes. This should be done once a day for the first 3 days of the infection.
After 3 days of soaking, the infection should be significantly less. At this point, start to drink a glass of water mixed with 1 teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar once per day. This not only helps prevent yeast infections, but it also has numerous other health benefits such as improving skin health and boosting your metabolism.
While it is also possible to create a douche with Apple Cider Vinegar, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists suggests that women avoid douching completely. Douching has the potential to spread a yeast infection up through the cervix and into the uterus. For this reason, the simple soak mentioned above should be sufficient. NOTE: If you are pregnant, it is best to consult your doctor before using this treatment.
While cranberries are often used to treat bladder infections, they can also be highly effective for treating yeast infections by promoting healthy pH balance in the vagina. Try drinking a glass of unsweetened cranberry juice twice per day for up to 5 days to help fight off a fungal infection.
The active bacterial cultures in yogurt help to fight yeast, which is one of the main reasons why many people have found it to be effective at treating a yeast infection. Try to eat a cup of unsweetened probiotic yogurt once per day for a week.
If your infection persists for longer than a week, it is best to consult your doctor.
Many people have found that garlic is wonderful at fighting yeast infections. Crush 2 or 3 fresh garlic cloves into small pieces and quickly swallow the pieces with a glass of water. Repeat this for up to 5 days. If you don't like the associated garlic breath, you can use garlic capsules instead which are available in most health food stores.
12 Hour Cure for Yeast Infection
Learn about a 12 hour natural remedy for Yeast Infections in a new eBook. The book claims that its remedies will provide:
- Relief from burning, itching, painful urination or vaginal discharge.
- Relief from problems with your appetite due to a chronic yeast infection.
- Relief from rashes and skin problems associated with yeast infections.
Click here to find out more about this 12 hour remedy.