Cod Liver Oil Health Benefits
What is Cod Liver Oil?
Cod Liver Oil is a nutrient rich oil that is derived from the liver of Cod fish. It is available in both oil form as well as in capsules.
What are the Benefits of Cod Liver Oil?
Cod liver oil is a wonderful nutritional supplement which provides multiple health benefits. It is rich in nutrients such as:
- Vitamin A: helps to maintain a healthy immune system, helps resist bacterial and viral infections, and beneficial for eyesight and healthy skin.
- Vitamin D: helps maintain strong and healthy bones.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: have anti-inflammatory properties which help relieve the symptoms of arthritis, improve brain function, reduce stress, prevent allergies, relieve asthma, and help with learning and behavioral disorders including bipolar syndrome.
- EicosaPentaenoic Acid (EPA): is great for the cardiovascular system and helps reduce inflammation throughout the body. Also works as a natural anti-depressant.
- DocosaHexaenoic Acid (DHA): is also a fatty acid which is vital for good eyesight, a healthy nervous system, and healthy skin.
Uses of Cod Liver Oil
Home Remedy for Arthritis
Consuming a small amount of Cod Liver Oil each day helps prevent arthritis, as well as provides some relief from arthritis pain. A recommended dosage is 1 to 2 teaspoons daily, or follow the directions on the bottle if you are using capsules.
Home Remedy for Muscle Aches and Pain
Bone and muscle pain are two of the primary symptoms of having low-levels of vitamin D. Many people with such low vitamin D levels notice signficant pain in their legs and have difficulty climbing stairs. Numerous studies have shown that 1 to 2 teaspoons of Cod Liver Oil daily can increase vitamin D levels in the body which helps to improve muscle strength and reduce muscle pain.
Home Remedy for Preventing Heart Disease
Taking 1 to 2 teaspoons of cod liver oil everyday can greatly improve heart function which helps prevent heart disease. It can also improve heart conditions even after a heart attack and after heart surgery. This is attributed to the omega-3 fatty acids which alters the linings of the arteries in such a way as to improve healing after damage. Vitamin A and D also play important roles in facilitating mineral absorption, improving muscle function, and supporting elasticity of the blood vessels.
Home Remedy for High Cholesterol
The fatty acids in Cod Liver Oil help lower the amount of bad cholesterol in our body. A simple remedy is to consume 1-2 teaspoons of Cod Liver Oil daily.
Lowering Risk of Type 1 Diabetes in Children
Studies have found that pregnant women that took 1 daily teaspoon of cod liver oil have a lower risk of giving birth to children with type 1 diabetes. However, if you are pregnant, it is recommended that you consult your doctor before you begin taking cod liver oil regularly.
What are the Side Effects of Cod Liver Oil?
Cod liver oil is generally safe to take in moderation, and studies have not found any major adverse reactions to it in the general population. However, a If you are pregnant or currently taking medication, it is recommended that you contact your physician before using cod liver oil on a regular basis. Otherwise, cod liver oil has been found to be safe for the general population when taken in moderation. It is important not to consume extremely large doses of cod liver oil, since this can lead to high blood pressure.
Where and How to Buy Cod Liver Oil
Cod Liver Oil can be bought in most pharmacies and drug stores. It can also be found in liquid form. A high quality cod liver oil should be pale-yellow in colour and have a fish-like taste.