Signs and Symptoms of Arthritis
Arthritis means inflammation of a joint. There are over a hundred different forms of arthritis which can be subdivided into the following three major categories: Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, and Gout. However, they all have the following common symptoms at the joint: redness, stiffness, swelling, and pain.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis typically affects the small finger joints, wrists, knees and toes. All joints of the body, however, are potential targets.
- Osteoarthritis can affect any joint, but commonly occurs in the hips, knees, feet and spine.
- Gout symptoms typically occur in lower limbs and first target the big toes. Pain can become so severe that even the weight of socks or bed sheets could be unbearable.
Arthritis can affect both women and men of almost all age groups and of all races. However, women are three times more vulnerable to arthritis than men. About 80 percent of patients of Rheumatoid Arthritis are between the ages of 35 and 50 but 65 to 85 percent of patients with Osteoarthritis are over the age of 65.
For more information about Gout, please see our Gout Home Remedies page.
Causes of Arthritis
Arthritis is usually a result of damage to or destruction of joint parts. The causes of arthritis are quite varied, but the most common are: genetics, age, infections, deficiency of organic sodium and minerals, trauma, mental or physical strain, obesity, cold weather, or excessive use of rich foods. Different forms of arthritis are caused by damage to different parts of a joint.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis usually sets off when the synovial membrane (which helps in the smooth movement of our joints) becomes inflamed and stiff. Ballerinas, weight lifters, construction workers and dancers are often the victims of Rheumatoid Arthritis due to the high strain on the joints in these professions.
- Osteoarthritis involves damage and wear-and-tear to the cartilage (which is the elastic material that covers the end of each bone). Usually age and genetics are big factors in the break down of cartilage. Doctors believe that almost everyone over the age of sixty suffer from Osteoarthritis to some extent.
- Gout is caused by the abnormal production of uric acid. When the body produces abnormally large amounts of uric acid, it is deposited as needle-like crystals in the joints instead of being excreted out of the body through urine. These crystals cause friction and severe pain when the joint is moved.
Home Remedies for Arthritis Treatment
Arthritis Natural Cure Using Flax Seed Oil
Flax Seed Oil's main content, Omega-3 fats, help our body produce Prostaglandins Series 1 and 3, which are anti-inflammatory hormone-like molecules. These molecules help reduce the inflammation associated with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis.
Therefore, Flax Seed is often believed to be a natural cure for arthritis. Simply take one tablespoon of Flax Seed 3 times daily.
- For breakfast, add Flax Seeds to your cereal, muffin, or bread, or mix ground Flax Seeds into chocolate/strawberry milk or orange juice.
- For lunch and dinner, Flax Seeds can be ground and sprinkled directly onto almost any meal.
Flax Seed Oil can also be used instead of the raw seeds. Take 1 teaspoon of Flax Seed Oil 3 times daily. The oil can be added to food as well. Continue this remedy for at least one month to cure the primary forms of arthritis.
Arthritis Home Remedy Using Epsom Salt
Epsom Salt is high in magnesium. Magnesium is important for bone growth and regulates the body's pH level. A deficiency of magnesium lowers the ability of the body to absorb and use calcium and phosphorus, which are the two primary bone-building minerals.
The following home remedies using Epsom Salt can be used to reduce the symptoms associated with arthritis. NOTE: If you have heart or kidney disease, consult your doctor before using these remedies. Excessive magnesium can cause diarrhea, nausea, cramps, muscle weakness, and heart abnormalities.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and 3 tablespoons of Epsom Salt in one pint of warm water and take one teaspoon in the morning and one at night.
- Add three cups of Epsom Salt in hot bath water and soak in it. The magnesium in the salt is absorbed by the body and it soothes and relaxes the stiff joints and muscles.
Arthritis Home Remedy Using Alfalfa Seeds
A tea made from Alfalfa, especially from its seeds, has shown beneficial results in the treatment of arthritis. Simply add one teaspoon of Alfalfa seeds to one cup of boiling water. Take three to four cups of this tea daily for approximately two weeks to reduce inflammation. Another option is to regularly take alfalfa capsules or add a small amount of alfalfa to your diet.
Natural Treatment for Arthritis Pain Using Cinnamon
Recent studies have shown that Cinnamon is a remarkable natural treatment for arthritis pain. Simply add half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder to one tablespoon of honey every morning before breakfast. Repeat this daily for one month. Results should be noticeable within the first week.
Preventing and Treating Arthritis With Cod Liver Oil
Research has shown that consuming a small amount of Cod Liver Oil each day can potentially slow down cartilage degeneration, which is one of the main symptoms of osteoarthritis. Additionally, the omega-3 acids contained in the oil can help reduce the pain and inflammation associated with arthritis. Therefore, simply consuming 1 to 2 teaspoons of cod liver oil daily could be very beneficial.
Arthritis Pain Relief With Turmeric
Turmeric, a common spice in Indian cuisine, has been used to reduce inflammation for hundreds of years in Ayurvedic medicine. Not surprisingly, by taking 500mg to 1000mg Turmeric capsules three times per day, many individuals have reported significant relief from osteoarthritis pain.
Using Ginger to Relieve Arthritis Pain
Similar to Turmeric, the common kitchen spice Ginger has been found to be an effective natural anti-inflammatory. Therefore, a great remedy for Arthritis is to peel and slice 1/2 inch of fresh ginger and take it with each meal.
Arthritis Free For Life
Learn about a breakthrough remedy for Arthritis that claims it can help you:
- Eliminate most - if not all - of your arthritis in just one month!
- Get back to living your life without the pain, inflammation, and stiffness.
Click here to find out more about this treatment.