What is Oil of Oregano?
Oil of Oregano is a highly potent natural purifier that is extracted from wild oregano plants, and two key compounds found in it are carvacrol and thymol.
Studies have shown that both of these compounds have significant effects on harmful micro-organisms that cause many illnesses in humans.
It is important not to confuse Oil of Oregano with common oregano that is used as a spice for cooking. Common oregano is typically Origanum Marjoram, while Oil of Oregano is derived from Origanum Vulgare.
Oil of Oregano can be purchased as either a liquid or as capsules/tablets. In both forms, it is important to verify that the oil is derived from the proper potent oregano plant, and that the carvacrol concentration is at least 70%.
What are the Health Benefits?
The ancient Greeks were one of the first people to recognize this oil for its health benefits and medicinal qualities.
It is known to be a potent antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, and antiparasitic oil that can reduce pain and inflammation and effectively fight off infections 2.
Some of the specific benefits of this amazing oil are:
- Destroying organisms that contribute to skin infections and digestive problems.
- Strengthening the immune system.
- Increasing joint and muscle flexibility.
- Improving respiratory health.
Natural Remedies Using Oil of Oregano
Oil of Oregano can be applied directly onto the skin to treat itches, skin infections, such as boils and carbuncles, acne etc., and irritated gums, but only if it has been diluted. Always follow the instructions on your particular bottle before applying topically onto the skin, since highly concentrated oils may first need to be mixed with Olive Oil or Coconut Oil before application (usually one teaspoon of Olive Oil or Coconut Oil per one drop of Oregano Oil).
The high concentrations of thymol and carvacrol in Oil of Oregano have been shown to calm upset stomach or diarrhea and aid digestion. Therefore, a quick home remedy for mild indigestion is to drink a glass of juice that is mixed with 2 or 3 drops of the oil.
Oil of Oregano is a wonderful natural remedy for sinus congestion. A common solution is to add 3 drops of the oil into a glass of juice and drink this mixture daily for 3 to 5 days or you may take it under your tongue, only if you can handle the spice.
Colds and Sore Throats
Oil of Oregano is an excellent early defense mechanism when you feel a cold or sore throat coming on. Simply take 3 drops of the oil under your tongue once per day (you can mix it into a glass of orange juice) and you should notice results within a few hours. Repeat this once per day for up to 5 days until the symptoms are gone.
What are the Side Effects?
While Oil of Oregano has many benefits, there are a few possible side effects:
- It may reduce the body's ability to absorb iron. Therefore, it is recommended that any regular use be combined with regular consumption of iron supplements. For this reason, women are advised not to take this oil during their pregnancy.
- Pregnant women should also avoid this oil since it can stimulate blood flow in the uterus, which can weaken the lining that surrounds the fetus in the womb.
- People that have allergies to thyme, basil, mint, or sage may be sensitive to Oregano Oil as well, since they are in the same family of plants. If any skin irritation, rashes, or vomiting occurs when using it, it is recommended that you discontinue use and consult your doctor.
Where and How to Buy Oil of Oregano
Oil of Oregano can be found in almost any natural health or nutrition store, or from online retailers such as Amazon.com (see below). It is important to make sure that it is derived from Origanum Vulgare, and that the carvacrol concentration is at least 70%.